Search
Last Name:
First Name:
Log In

Advanced Search Surnames

Most Wanted
What's New
Bookmarks
Statistics

Photos
Histories
Documents
Videos
Recordings
Albums
All Media
Cemeteries
Headstones

Places
Notes
Dates and Anniversaries

Reports
Sources
Repositories
Change Language

Contact Us
Register for a User Account
   
Our Family Genealogy Pages

James de Benneville Seguin, Sr.
Male 1818 - 1876

HomeHome    SearchSearch    PrintPrint    Login - User: anonymousLogin    Add BookmarkAdd Bookmark

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    All    |    PDF

  • Suffix  Sr. 
    Birth  1818 
    Gender  Male 
    Died  02 Dec 1876 
    Person ID  I122  Stewart
    Last Modified  14 Dec 2010 
     
    Family  Laura Templeton Harvey,   b. 10 Jun 1854,   d. 27 Jul 1940 
    Children 
     1. James de Benneville Seguin, Jr.,   b. 21 Jun 1879, New Orleans, Louisiana Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 22 Jul 1910
    >2. Louise Maria Seguin,   b. 13 Jul 1878, New Orleans, Louisiana Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 07 Oct 1944
    Last Modified  05 Oct 2006 
    Family ID  F30  Group Sheet
     
  • Notes 
    • James de Benneville Seguin: Graduated from the University of Louisiana Law School in 1880. (Now Tulane University)
    • Grandson of André Seguin who built the first shipyard in Louisiana.

      The ship-yards and dry-docks of Algiers have always constituted its chief industries, and at least three-fourths of the population depend upon them for their daily bread. The first ship-yard, with ways, was established, in 1819, by Andre Seguin, a native of Havre, France, on the bend of the river, nearly opposite the French Market, and at the head of the street since named after him. The ground was purchased from the heirs of Barthelemi Duverje, and was the first piece of property sold by them. The Seguin ship-yard was afterward operated by Francois Vallette as a ship and spar-yard. This was about the year 1837. After passing out of his hands it was occupied for a long time by James Bass as a saw-mill. At the close of the war Messrs. Vail & Follette operated the yard, and erected steam marine ways, the ruins" of which still remain. The marine ways passed into the hands of Olsen & Lawson, and from them to Cothrell, Brady & McLellan. Since they have given up possession the site has been only occasionally used as a ship-yard.
      Source: Historical sketch book and guide to New Orleans and environs: with map. Illustrated with many original engravings; and containing exhaustive accounts of the traditions, historical legends, and remarkable localities of the Creole city. Found at Google books.

    Name:
    • James de Benneville Séguin
     

  

This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding, Copyright © 2001-2006, created by Darrin Lythgoe, Sandy, Utah. All rights reserved.